Chicago Tech Circle
- Chicago Tech Circle, housed at UIC and supported by Break Through Tech Chicago, creates teams of women and nonbinary UIC student tech consultants to work for Chicago companies.
- Chicago Tech Circle projects usually begin in September or January and last for 12 weeks. Student team members complete 15 to 20 hours per week of paid project work for the duration of the engagement.
- Program Participants
For each client we work with, Chicago Tech Circle puts together a diverse, multi-talented team of UIC students who each bring a unique skill or perspective to the project. We are looking for students who want to collaborate on paid tech projects and who have backgrounds in subjects such as:
- Data science
- Computer science
- Business and economics
- Statistics and/or data analytics
Students of all UIC majors, minors, and areas of interest are welcome to join the circle!
How to get involved
Chicago Tech Circle is always growing. We are launching our first two student teams in fall 2023, and we’re adding even more UIC students to our roster for teams in spring 2024 and beyond. If you are interested in participating, please follow these steps:
Chicago Tech Circle facts
- Chicago Tech Circle projects are especially well-suited to students who have already completed a Sprinternship™ or summer internship and want to gain additional tech work experience during the school year, but these are not prerequisites for participation.
- Each Chicago Tech Circle student team is guided by a UIC faculty member who serves as project manager. If needed, the faculty lead can fill in knowledge gaps that students must address to complete the project. This makes for a valuable learning experience!
- We aim for our student teams to be multi-disciplinary. We believe diversity is an asset. Students who come from academic backgrounds outside of technology can enhance tech projects in fascinating ways.
- Chicago Tech Circle operates as a true consultancy. Student team members become employees not of the client firm, but rather of Chicago Tech Circle (via UIC). Students are paid $15 to $20 per hour and receive their earnings directly from the university system.