Choose a major or minor
Declaring a UIC major or minor is the gateway to the rest of your UIC tech education.
Here’s our step-by-step guide on what you need to do.
Choose a major or minor
You enjoy programming and are ready for more UIC coursework. Great! Now is the time to consider your academic goal: where you would like your UIC tech courses to lead.
- Data science major: distill vast pools of information into useful, action-ready insights
- Computer science major: become an expert across many areas of programming
- Computer science + design major: use programming to shape the aesthetics and utility of tech products and services
- Computer science and linguistics major: explore the intersection between programming and human language
- Computer science minor: add programming skills to your existing UIC major to create a powerful combination
Add your major or minor
Once you have a major or minor in mind, you will need to get that program added to your official UIC degree plan.
To add a major in computer science, computer science + design, or data science:
- If you already are a UIC College of Engineering student, fill out the change of major form on the College of Engineering resources page (note: if you are choosing data science, you also will need to indicate which of the nine data science concentrations interests you most and that you plan to pursue)
- If you are a student in another UIC college, fill out the Intercollege Transfer Petition on the College of Engineering resources page and make note of the requirements
To add a computer science and linguistics major:
- You will begin by having a one-on-one conversation with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ advisor for the major, Albert Hernández. Find all the instructions you need on this page
To add a computer science minor:
- If you are a College of Engineering student, fill out the minor/concentration form on the College of Engineering resources page
- If you are a student in another UIC college, fill out the minor request form on the College of Engineering resources page
Important information for minors: when you read the UIC course catalog page for the CS minor, please note that you may now substitute MATH 165 Calculus for Business or MATH 170 Calculus for the Life Sciences for MATH 180 Calculus.
Note: It will take a bit of time for your selected major or minor to be added to your UIC program. (If you are changing UIC colleges to pursue your major of choice, that will take some time, too.) Once your major or minor is confirmed, you will be able to register for CS 141, the next course in the sequence toward whichever one you chose.
Apply for a Sprinternship
Have you ever seen internship or job listings that say “experience required” and wondered to yourself, “Well, how do I get that experience?”
Break Through Tech Chicago Sprinternships™ are our answer to that question. These three-week micro-internships at Chicago-area organizations provide the first tech-oriented work experience on your résumé. They can help you to compete for full-length internships and (eventually) full-time jobs.
Bookmark our Sprinternships page and make note of the next application window so that you are ready to apply and participate!