Don’t be afraid to go into computer science or make other seemingly intimidating decisions ... You, too, can become a leader in tech and pave the way for others to change the world.
Find a Program
You can be ready for the tech jobs of tomorrow.
Break Through Tech Chicago can help prepare you.
Our mission is to advance the education and careers of women (cis and trans) and nonbinary individuals who are in college and considering careers in computing and technology. We are especially committed to preparing Black, Latinx, and Indigenous people with the education they need to bring diversity to the tech world. These are our current offerings:
If you’ve decided that a major or minor in computer science or data science is for you, CS 111 will lay the groundwork for the academic experiences that lie ahead.
Break Through Tech Chicago helps UIC students who plan to major or minor in computer science, data science, CS + design, or computer science and linguistics to get their start in CS 111.
- Sections are offered in the fall or spring semesters
- Break Through Tech Chicago uses a team approach to make CS 111 fun and to ensure you have the support you need to try this new academic subject!
These quick (hence the sprint!) immersive paid internships give you work experience and a tech-industry résumé credential that can help you to land your first summer tech internship.
Sprinternships are a key part of Break Through Tech Chicago’s mission, which is to advance the tech careers of women and nonbinary people and enhance gender diversity in the tech sector.
Sprinternships are designed for freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors at UIC who plan to pursue a tech education and career.
While certain majors and minors (such as computer science, data science, CS + design, or computer science and linguistics) are more common among Sprinterns, we are happy to receive applications from UIC students in other majors who have career plans that involve technology or tech innovation.
Tech in Residence
Tech in Residence builds on momentum from our Sprinternship program to advance gender equity in tech. It combines a corporate-sponsored UIC computer science elective with the possibility of a summer internship or full-time job with the company after the course ends. Earn 3 UIC credits while teaming up with fellow students to put your tech knowledge to work!
You may apply for Tech in Residence if you:
- Are a UIC undergraduate with sophomore, junior, or senior academic standing and expect to graduate no earlier than May of the semester the Tech in Residence course runs
- Have a declared major in computer science, data science, CS and linguistics, or CS + design, or have a declared minor in computer science. You also need to have completed at least one semester of your major coursework at UIC
- Have a GPA of at least 2.75 and are not on academic probation
- Have prior tech-related work experience (such as a Sprinternship or internship) or are enrolled in CS 251 Data Structures for the fall semester or have already completed that course with a grade of C or better
You can help to reshape the gender landscape in tech. But given the challenges of college — intensive coursework, family responsibilities, sometimes holding down a job — you might need an occasional reminder of your power within. You’ll want supportive friends. Wise mentors. Break Through Tech Chicago’s community programs can help you to develop the network, self-confidence, and strong principles you need to thrive in the tech world.